pub-260179357044294

Defence chiefs meet in Kyiv to discuss plans for future international ‘reassurance force’ in Ukraine | UK News

Defence chiefs have met in Kyiv to discuss the size and make-up of the proposed international “reassurance force” to back up any future peace deal in Ukraine.

The UK’s chief of the defence staff Admiral Sir Tony Radakin joined his Ukrainian and French counterparts on Saturday for discussions about how to bolster the country’s military.

Their meetings focused on the structure, size and composition needed for any armed force to back up an eventual peace deal, the Ministry of Defence said.

“The UK is ironclad in our support for Ukraine, which is why we’re stepping up for a just and lasting peace,” Admiral Radakin said.

“Our meetings looked at how we can build on the formidable capabilities of the Ukrainian Army and put them in the strongest possible position to deter Russian aggression.”

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Children killed in Russian missile strike

It comes after at least 19 people were killed in a Russian attack on Ukrainian president Volodymyr Zelenskyy’s home city and as the UK’s defence secretary is set to convene the next meeting of the so-called “coalition of the willing” on Thursday.

With 30 countries expected to contribute to the coalition, John Healey will host defence ministers in Brussels alongside his French counterpart.

He will then chair the Ukraine Defence Contact Group with his opposite number from Germany on Friday.

“Our coalition of nations, working at pace and willing to stand with Ukraine for the long-term, is a stark contrast to Russia who stand alone with only North Korea for a friend,” Mr Healey said.

“As Putin prevaricates over a ceasefire, we will continue to ramp up our military planning, exploring the air, sea and land forces that could support a lasting peace in Ukraine.

“However, we will not jeopardise the peace by forgetting about the war.

“That’s why in the week ahead we will also convene the Ukraine Defence Contact Group to supply Ukraine with the military equipment they need to put them in the strongest possible position as they fight back brutal, continuing Russian attacks.”

Read more: Who’s in and out of coalition of the willing

The UK and France have been at the forefront of the coalition, which would see armed forces from a number of European and NATO countries on the ground in Ukraine acting as peacekeepers.

In theory they would deter any further Russian aggression and violations of a potential ceasefire.

But since the initial Russian invasion in February 2022, Vladimir Putin has said he will not accept NATO troops in Ukraine – leaving many doubting Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer’s plan.

Sir Keir hosted a virtual meeting of leaders in March after Mr Zelenskyy accepted a 30-day interim ceasefire agreement.

The idea has been dismissed by the Trump administration, with US special envoy Steve Witkoff describing it as “simplistic” and “posture and pose”.

Downing Street has said it is still in the “planning phase” of how the coalition would work in practice – and has been so far unable to answer questions on operational details.

#Defence #chiefs #meet #Kyiv #discuss #plans #future #international #reassurance #force #Ukraine #News

Optimized by Optimole
Optimized by Optimole